Chapped lips is caused by so many reasons, it could be as a result of the harsh weather condition where you stay, sun rays, licking of lips, drinking and smoking, etc. What ever may be the case, chapped lips brings discomfort to whoever is wearing it. In most cases, the flaky part of the lips could be seen hanging out, destroying your lipsticks and looking particularly gross.
If you have dry chapped lips and need a lasting solution to it, you may want to heed the following warnings.
- Don’t lick your lips- licking your lips may appear to moisten you lips at the start, but it gets even more dryer when the saliva evapourates leaving your lips in a worst condition.
- Stay hydrated inside out- Hamathan air can be very dry and most often causes irritation to the lips, with some people experiencing broken and bleeding lips. Cover your lips when out in the open or apply Vaseline on the entire lips.
- Avoid picking the flakes from your lips, this is because it causes more irritation and sometimes bleeding.
- Avoid smoking and drinking.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains natural nutrients which are essential in keeping the strength of the protective oil layer on the lips. Simply apply aloe vera gel before going to bed at night for best results.
Water is very essential in our every day lives, keeping the body well hydrated will prevent the lips from getting dry and chapped. This is because, chapped lips is often caused due to dehydration. When the body is dehydrated, its effect starts showing on the lips.
To prevent this, it is advised to take at least 8 glasses of water a day. This will keep you hydrated and makes your lips soft and smooth.
Oils is necessary to keep the lips looking soft and radiant. You can utilize either of castor oil or coconut oil which is high in essential fatty acids. Apply this oil at least twice a day.
Petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline is one of the easiest and most quickest way of treating chapped lips. Vaseline helps protect the skin from drying and at the same time keeping it soft and smooth.
Apply a generous amount of Vaseline on your lips before going to bed. When you wake up in the morning, you will notice your lips are very soft with some of the flakes trapped by the jelly. Clean or wash it off with water for a better feel.
Honey has antibacterial properties which and it is one of nature’s best healing agent. For best results, use honey in conjunction with Vaseline.
Smear honey on your lips and coat it with Vaseline. Leave to stay on the lips for about 30 minutes or more, wash off with a damp face towel. Repeat the process daily for maximum result.
This vegetable is very useful in treating dry chapped lips during the hot season. Apart from making the lips soft, it also has lightening properties which helps lighten dark lips and removing dark patches on the lips.
- Olive OiL
Olive oil is a natural moisturizer and lubricant which contains fatty acids that helps fight dry and chapped lips by making the soft and supple.
Apply Olive oil on your lips at least twice a day. Repeat for one week to see lasting result.
- Sugar & Honey
Sugar when applied on the lips helps exfoliate the lips removing the dead cells from your chapped lips.
- Mix 2 tesspoons of sugar with one teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the paste on your lips and leave to stay for some minutes.
- Use your finger to gently scrub your lips to loosen the dead cells.
- Wash afterwards with water.
Milk is known as a natural moisturizer due to its high fat content.
Simply apply fresh milk and your lips and leave to stay for about 15 minutes, then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Rose Petals
- Get a handful of rose petals from your garden.
- Soak it in fresh milk for 3-4 hours
- Mash the rose petals into a thick paste
- Apply it on your lips using your index finger
- Repeat 3 times in a day and at night before going to bed.